[AT] way-WAY off topic Toyota vs. Toyoda???

CEE VILL cvee60 at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 24 04:55:02 PST 2010

> Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 00:52:35 -0500
> From: sewell at ohio.edu
> To: at at lists.antique-tractor.com
> Subject: [AT] way-WAY off topic  Toyota vs. Toyoda???
>

> Toyota is in a bit of trouble it looks like. So the founders grandson is on
> the way over - Mr. Toyoda.
> Now the question. Why does the company name end in TA and the family in
>
> -steve

Steve,

The first line of Toyoda autos manufactured were equipped with a Torque Amplifier to enhance performance of the tiny engine used.  In an effort to call attention to this feature, the change was made from DA to TA.  We saw the same situation here in the U.S. with the Farmall M.   (MTA)

Now if anyone believes that story, I will try to think up another.  When the silk market softened in Japan, Toyoda looked for another industry to expand into to make up for lost loom business. With the venture into cars, the name became Toyota.  Why.  ????  In the first eight years of production, only 2500 cars were produced.  Then came the tour of the Ford plant in the U.S. where 8,000 autos per day were assembled.  That led to serious changes in the Toyota factory to accomplish mass production with quality advanced quality control.  The new Corolla was the first big hit in the U.S.

Charlie V.