[AT] Wind generators, was RE: Snow

charliehill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Wed Feb 17 10:54:18 PST 2010

I read recently where some wind generators located in the upper mid west had
failed because they weren't designed for the cold temps and the oil inside
them had jelled up or something like that.

Go on Google Earth and look at the very south end of the Big Island of
Hawaii right at the point.  Then with it zoomed in close enough that you can
recognize houses and cars move north  along the road about 5 miles and
you'll find a few dozen wind mills sitting idle, apparenlty broken down with
parts of some of them lying on the ground.  Those wind mills are located in
probably the best location in the world for wind mills.  The wind is near
constant velocity and direction year round.  Apparently they aren't worth
fixing.  If you turn on street view you can see pictures of them.  I've been
there.  They are huge units built by Mitsubishi.

Charlie