[AT] Snow

Bob McNitt nysports at frontiernet.net
Tue Feb 16 17:18:10 PST 2010

Farmer -

In many areas laying over the massive shale formations containing
natural gas, the price of once good agricultural land is skyrocketing as
buyers with deep pockets hope to get in on the royalties of having gas
wells or pipelines on the land. Of course this also raises assessed
values and land and school taxes. Common folks seeking to buy a piece of
rural land to farm on, retire on or maybe just escape the cities are
being left in the dust of the natural gas drilling craze. Farmers in the
prime shale areas are being increasingly tempted to sell to speculators
that are willing to pay top dollar for larger acreages they can then
lease as well clause in an agreement that allows them to sell portions
off for cluster development projects. I'm afraid if this keeps up, we'll
soon be importing almost all of our food stuffs and the only places
you'll see farm tractors and equipment will be in museums.

Bob