[AT] Ford 5000

joehardy at epix.net joehardy at epix.net
Sun Feb 14 17:51:35 PST 2010

Hi Chris, I'm in a long term process of restoring a FORD 6000 Comander with a 10 speed SOS tranny. It is a very complicated transmission and parts will be hard to find.  In order to solve any tranny problems you WILL need to buy the FORD service manual for your 5000. I'm assuming your trann y is of the same design as my 6000.  If you need to have it rebuilt, I found Arthurs Tractors (724) 349-2015 may do it for you. www.arthurstractors.com . Others on this site tell me that, with proper maintenance, the tranny works OK. Please be careful since it doesn't operate like a manual "shifting" tractor. If the selector mechanism is not properly adjusted, it could move when in the parked position. One farmer was run over and killed while adjusting a running engine while the tranny was in the parked position. Be sure to throw the engine /tranny disconnect lever before working on a running engine. Good luck on this one!!  Joe Hardisky   Ryman Farm, Dallas, PA