[AT] Spam> Hello

Howard Fleming hfleming at moosebird.net
Wed Feb 10 11:46:15 PST 2010

Having grown up 35? miles outside of DC (Purcellville, VA), this follows
what I remember when I was younger.

I have friends that used to go ice skating on the creek next to their
house back in the 60's all during the winter, and while it has gotten
cold enough at times in the last 20+ or so years for this, it was the
exception rather than the norm.

We use to put up snow fence along the main road, to help keep the snow
off the road so the milk truck could get through.  I do not remember the
last time I saw snow fence anywhere in this area in the last 20 years.

I always thought that the summers when I was a kid were cooler, but I
chalked it up to getting older.  After this last summer I have decided
that is (not entirely) the case.

Tractor reference.... :o).

I have a 1948 Ford 8N with the pull type John Deere blade to clear snow.
  Found that in the last storm it will NOT handle 8 inches of snow,
piles up under the tractor rather than slide off to the side.  Time to
look for a Dearborn or Arps front blade (or get a new(er) tractor with a
front end loader.

With a total of 30 inches (more or less), I did not even try to use it
to clear the road, ended up shoveling it out by hand.

It has been one of those times that I really miss the 3020 and front end
loader that we on the farm (father still has it, but it is a bit far to
drive it 40 miles.... :o).  Also *really* miss the differential lock
that the 3020 has (and the Ford 8N does not).

Howard