[AT] Feb

Ken Knierim ken.knierim at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 11:55:03 PST 2010

On Fri, Feb 5, 2010 at 11:30 AM, <Edchainsaw at aol.com> wrote:

> when I was a  young man   ( just out of high school )   we as a family made
> the grand tour  from  Terre Haute to  Phoenix   and back--   while there we
> visited   Dad's  retired Dentist   a  Doc Sipple.   we  stayed with him all
> day  while our camper was being  repaired.
>    His yard had  irrigation in the back    and  green rocks in the front..
>  at that time -- I don't know if  they still do this--  but  at  3pm  they
> flooded the  ditch  in his back yard basically flooding the entire  yard
> for  a few hours ---  and then  let it drain back  out ..
>  I myself wandered why  they wasted the water like that --- the  green
> rocks didn't have to be mowed...

Not sure why they would wet down the rocks; there's something missing in
that equation. Kinda sounds like they didn't berm that area off properly
when they put the rocks in.

I flood irrigate my yard on a 2 week cycle during the summer. If I don't
irrigate, in about 4-5 weeks it's a fire hazard, then at 6 weeks it becomes
a dust bowl. Hard on the trees if they don't get water too.

So I mow the yard with an old 8N with a 5 foot flail mower. Gives me a
chance to do yard work and play at the same time.

Speaking of trees, I need to add a few more. Mom wants a pomegranate tree
and I want to get some peaches going again (ants killed them before).

Ken in AZ