[AT] Can you hear/now The GOOD News!

David Rotigel rotigel at me.com
Thu Feb 4 14:43:09 PST 2010

Toyota Says Cup Holders Still Working Great
Rest Your Beverages With Confidence, Says Carmaker
TOKYO (The Borowitz Report) – Embattled automaker Toyota today said
that despite problems with accelerators and brakes, the cup holders on
its most popular car models were “perfectly safe to use.”

“Feel free to enjoy the beverage of your choice and know that you can
rest it in one of our cup holders with confidence,” said Tokyo
spokesman Hiroshi Kyosuke.  “Our cup holders are world-class.”

But Mr. Kyosuke’s upbeat comments about Toyota’s cup holders were
undercut somewhat later in the day by congressional testimony from
Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood.

“You should only feel safe to use your cup holder if your Toyota is
parked in your driveway,” Mr. LaHood said.  “At 80 miles per hour, the
cup holder becomes a rocket launcher.”

Toyota’s stock plunged 17 percent on the Transportation Secretary’s
remarks, prompting him to issue the following statement: “Opposite of
what I said.”