[Farmall] Touch Control Hydraulics

szabelsk at gdls.com szabelsk at gdls.com
Wed Feb 3 09:12:36 PST 2010

Had a similar problem on my Cub. What happened is that the hydraulic lines
had been brazed by the previous owner. As I would use the hydraulics the
braze would break and I'd loose all the oil. I'd have it fixed and then it
would break again, and I would lose the oil once again.This happened
several times. I finally figured out that when the previous owner fixed
the lines the first time, he bent the tubes a little and they were under
stress when I would bolt them in. That kept causing the lines to break.

What eventually happened is that I had run the pump dry several times and
the front seal failed. I would keep adding oil to the reservoir but it
would always be low or very near empty.  Noticed that the oil in the oil
pan was getting higher every time I checked it. Pulled the hydraulic pump
and found that the seal was almost rock hard, more than likely from being
run dry and the high engine operating temperature. Replaced the hydraulic
pump seal and the problem went away. I had to keep an eye on the hydraulic
lines for new leaks until I was able to get a new set from one of the
local parts sellers.

If you don't have any obvious leaks anywhere, pull the hydraulic pump and
check the condition of the seal. I think I paid less than five dollars for
the seal kit. It's been almost five years and I haven't had to top off the
hydraulic system yet.

Carl Szabelski

This is an e-mail from General Dynamics Land Systems. It is for the intended recipient only and may contain confidential and privileged information.  No one else may read, print, store, copy, forward or act in reliance on it or its attachments.  If you are not the intended recipient, please return this message to the sender and delete the message and any attachments from your computer. Your cooperation is appreciated.