[Farmall] Touch Control Hydraulics

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Wed Feb 3 08:35:51 PST 2010

Well, there are the symptoms and there is the problem.

What I mean is that you are probably low on hydraulic fluid, but the
real question is: where did the fluid go? Adding more fluid without
finding out what the problem is won't solve the problem.

Either there is a leak in the external lines between the pump and the
Touch Control unit, or (very likely) the front seal on the pump shaft is
gone, and the fluid is getting pumped into the engine. Check your engine
oil - if it is a little higher on the stick and/or quite "clean", that
is probably where your fluid went. If that is the case, you need to
remove the pump and (hopefully) replace the front seal (there are three
different seals, depending which pump your tractor has, so you need to
consult your parts manual to get the right one). This repair isn't
"rocket science" but having a copy of the service manual and a very
clean place to do the work is essential.

Mike