[AT] OT was runaway cars/now "electronic steering"

Chuck Bealke bealke at airmail.net
Wed Feb 3 01:13:20 PST 2010

Ron,

If my sieve of a memory is to be trusted, leading edge military fighters
are so difficult to control during evasive maneuvers that they could not
be flown without fly-by-wire and other chips.  But I wonder if
commercial aircraft have or need defenses built into fly-by-wire and
other control electronics against local EMP weapons.  One hears that
police are now firing such techie guns to disable cars of bad guys.  A
news article last week listed one that will reach out 656 feet.  I
suspect modern chip-filled phones and other machines may be vulnerable
to some of these weapons, but at least our favorite pre-60s or 70s
tractors should be immune - unless they have been converted to
electronic ignition.

Chuck Bealke
Dallas, TX