[AT] OT was runaway cars/"electronic steering"/now inflation and old tractors

Cecil Bearden crbearden at copper.net
Tue Feb 2 18:24:45 PST 2010

   If it was not for the retirement, I would not have stayed.  However
with the situation my Dad got me into, it is not what it should have
been.  Still have to work for a living to keep him in diapers..  I have
picked up quite a few of old tractors that I grew up with.  The problem
is that now when I try to put in a hay crop or bale or really do a job
with them, they are so inadequate as far as creature comforts, I can't
stay on them for the 14 hours I used to.  My Dad would stay on a MF35
from Can to Can't for days on end.  He would handle hay for 14 hours a
day, but now we see the result of all that hard work.  He is an invalid
due to having joints replaced.   My problem is that the newer equipment
created such a massive labor requirement that I am worn out.  In my
younger years we handled a thousand bales a day into the barn..  I am
worn out from it.  Wen I try to load hay without a cab, I can't breathe
for the next 3 days due to the dust and wind. If I could just find a cab
for the old 930 hand clutch comfort king, I would have my idea of the
ultimate baling tractor..

I probably will be buried with that old 930, it was the tractor I got to
drive every summer when we plowed.  It was a neighbor's tractor and we
got to borrow it and the disk and plow if we (I) plowed his fields..
That tractor sat up high compared to the MF35 and the MF50D  and with a
buggy top sunshade, I thought I had arrived....  That diesel was the
biggest engine I had ever sat behind.  I ramble..

Cecil inOKla