[AT] OT Re: HIGH IDLE now runaway cars

Ken Knierim ken.knierim at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 15:40:13 PST 2010

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 1:16 PM, charliehill <charliehill at embarqmail.com>wrote:

> Ken, they have been saying on TV  that some Lexus models were included in
> the recall and the car that "ran away" and killed the California cop and
> his
> family was a Lexus.  My sister has an Avalon that's about 3 years old.  I
> guess it's recalled too.
>
> Charlie

Hi Charlie,
 I checked my facts again. The Toyota website recall is different from the
information on the Lexus website. The Lexus website has the floormat recall
from November. The Toyota website has a statement:

On January 21, Toyota announced its intention to recall approximately 2.3
million select Toyota Division vehicles equipped with a specific pedal
assembly and suspended sales of the eight models involved in the recall on
January 26.

Toyota vehicles affected by the recall include:

   - Certain 2009-2010 RAV4
   - Certain 2009-2010 Corolla
   - 2009-2010 Matrix
   - 2005-2010 Avalon
   - Certain 2007-2010 Camry
   - Certain 2010 Highlander
   - 2007-2010 Tundra
   - 2008-2010 Sequoia

No Lexus Division or Scion vehicles are affected by these actions. Also not
affected are Toyota Prius, Tacoma, Sienna, Venza, Solara, Yaris, 4Runner, FJ
Cruiser, Land Cruiser, Highlander hybrids and certain Camry models,
including Camry hybrids, all of which remain for sale.

Further, Camry, RAV4, Corolla and Highlander vehicles with Vehicle
Identification Numbers (VIN) that begin with "J" are not affected by the
accelerator pedal recall.
My wife stated that the "J" in the VIN number are those made in Japan (like
her Camry). Again, on the gas pedal recall, it seems those made in the US
are targeted. I was not aware there were separate recalls by both divisions
until I looked closer, hence my confusion. There apparently are multiple
problems, probably made worse by the media.

I wish Case still made cars.  :)

Ken in AZ