[AT] OT was runaway cars/now "electronic steering"

Mark Greer markagreer at embarqmail.com
Mon Feb 1 13:33:45 PST 2010

I was just talking with an SKF engineer on Friday about that. One big
problem that comes into play is with us "experienced" drivers who are used
to the "feedback" we get from the steering wheel. We are used to the "feel"
of the road" that comes back through the steering wheel and we have a hell
of a time getting used to the electronic steering. Kids who are growing up
today playing video games are used to "steering" without road feedback
through the wheel and find it rather normal. They are actually building
"road feel" into the electronic steering systems to accommodate drivers who
have driven "real" cars and trucks without all that overpriced, unnecessary
garbage. You don't suppose they will build in a wear factor so when the car
get a bunch of miles on it the steering will feel sloppy like a real car
would? I prefer a mechanical connection between my steering wheel and the
road.
Mark