[AT] OT was runaway cars/now "electronic steering"

Ken Knierim ken.knierim at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 14:39:52 PST 2010

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 2:56 PM, <tmehrkam at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> What about Fly by Wire on aircraft?
>
> That scares me!

I agree, but I believe one of the first production examples of that was the
F-14 and it had a good record. Airbus has also been rather successful with
the "fly-by-wire". There has been some speculation that it failed
catastrophically on the Air France flight (AF447) that splashed in the ocean
last June because the air speed sensors froze over, causing the computer to
get lost but last I knew there was no definitive proof.

Air traffic is still a lot safer than freeway traffic. I had hoped to get an
M1 Abrams as a commuter vehicle but it didn't have the right emissions or
safety equipment for Arizona. :)

Ken in AZ