[AT] Hand seed planter

CEE VILL cvee60 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 1 05:45:33 PST 2010

I have a hand seed planter garden tool that I can only guess about.  Links to pictures are below.  I bought the item at a yard sale or flea market a few years ago due to its uniqueness.

The total length is 4 feet.  There is a seed magazine down the last 20 inches of handle.  The top end of the handle is a plunger handle and slides in and out of the handle. operating  the rod at lower end.  Each time a seed is plunged, a stop wire is moved to a position to prevent seeds in the magazine from dropping down.  When plunger is retracted, flip control wire moves back to allow one more seed to drop into lower chamber.  The end nozzle is made split, two halves and should have a small coil spring or rubber band around it to hold it closed under light spring load.  I am guessing the tooth shape on the end is a soil depth gauge to help place seed at proper depth and the head width may allow proper spacing in the row.  A common red radish seed seems to be close th the seed size this tool is designed for.  Patent date is July, 1, 90.  I think it is pretty safe to assume 1890.

Has anyone ever seen or used this type tool before so you could offer more informed information.

http://images51.fotki.com/v174/filesANz/6a776/9/1608999/8416446/planter1.jpg

http://images20.fotki.com/v533/fileLBJr/6a776/9/1608999/8416446/planter2.jpg

http://images32.fotki.com/v1109/fileGx7h/6a776/9/1608999/8416446/planter3.jpg

http://images53.fotki.com/v443/fileUVg9/6a776/9/1608999/8416446/planter4.jpg