[AT] hydraulic pipe question

Grant Brians sales at heirloom-organic.com
Wed Dec 22 06:10:45 PST 2010

Black pipe and stainless steel are the recommended types for hydraulic oil.
The reason is that there is some concern about flaking of galvanizing off of
the pipe and then contamination/plugging of valves in the hydraulics.
Obviously a good filter should eliminate those concerns, but that is the
rationale. In the case of black pipe, the only concern is rust and inside of
the pipe filled with hydraulic oil, clearly there is no real worry there.
The only secondary concern would be pressure as mentioned, so just make sure
the pipe is in good condition and is rated for the hydraulic pressure you
plan on using. As a reference, I have 1/2", 3/4" and 1" black pipe lines on
our earthmover (Be-Ge low pressure system) and several 3500psi tractor
systems.... Go for use of black pipe....
          Grant Brians
          Hollister,California
          Vegetable, Nuts and Fruit farmer