[AT] Yellow Farmall now cold starting

Chuck Bealke bealke at airmail.net
Fri Dec 31 23:36:59 PST 2010

On 12/31/2010 9:47 PM, Rupert wrote:
> ....Reminds me of a time when I had to retrieve
> an aircraft that had sprung a bad oil leak in the propeller. I went in
> the next day after the aircraft ( a beaver for those that know aircraft)
> had sat overnight on a frozen lake in -30 temps. The wind chill was much
> cooler. The oil that engine uses is SAE50....
Rupert,

Your experience as a Beaver pilot suggests you might not be a shy,
retiring sort.
Don't envy the prop height, weight, cold, challenge, etc. of your repair
fun, but a Beaver might be
on my toy list if I am ever cursed with hefty,  lottery winnings.  I
suspect Alaskan bush pilots
carry Red Dragon heaters on their winter jaunts as often as oxygen
tanks, but one hears that Harrison
Ford has way more fun with his Beaver than his Gulfstream.
For a low-timer pilot from balmy parts of Texas, I have tangled with
snow a bit
and once landed at night on stunningly gorgeous glare ice after an ice
storm in Peoria.  (That
slippery stuff was powerful magnet for falling butts and arms and
somehow jinxed
a mag after I parked on it overnight.)  Artic flying and repairs sound
like worthy trials
that would expose a fellow to places of great natural beauty if not comfort.

Thanks for sharing.

Chuck Bealke
Dallas