[AT] Yellow Farmall now cold starting

Rupert rwenig2 at xplornet.com
Fri Dec 31 19:47:28 PST 2010

Hello Ralph,
	Have you ever tried pouring 90wt oil when it's -20 or colder? I have.
You need a knife to cut it. Reminds me of a time when I had to retrieve
an aircraft that had sprung a bad oil leak in the propeller. I went in
the next day after the aircraft ( a beaver for those that know aircraft)
had sat overnight on a frozen lake in -30 temps. The wind chill was much
cooler. The oil that engine uses is SAE50. This was the first time I had
experienced this problem.We had the proper wrenches with us but know one
told us that we would have to deal with frozen oil. The oil seal that
keeps the oil in the actuating cylinder had sprung a leak so the oil got
between the splined crankshaft and the propeller hub. No amount of
puling or pushing with the tools we had with us or could fashion with
materials at hand would budge the propeller. It took over 3 hours using
a blow pot and a tent to get the propeller off so we could change the seal.

	I used to do like your doing with the battery charger- putting the
charger on for awhile when I put the tractor away to make sure the
battery was charged. Then, 2-3 weeks later if I haven't used the tractor
I would put the charger on for a couple of hours. AMA sent me a flyer
advertising a battery minder such as
<http://batterytender.com/automotive/battery-tender-junior-12v-at-0-75a.html>?
I have 3 on test this winter. AMA's price is better but you have to be a
member. This is the first time I've tried them and results are promising
so far. One is on my tractor. The other two are on my motorhome. All
three batteries test full charge. The tractor (a Farmall 656) turns over
like the battery is strong.

Rupert