[AT] Yellow Farmall now cold starting

charlie hill charliehill at embarqmail.com
Fri Dec 31 14:01:50 PST 2010

I might have related this story in the past.  If so humor me.  About 35
years ago (dang time flies) I had an old GMC cab over with an 8V-71 Detroit
in it.  I pulled logs for a living and usually set out about 4 am.  In the
winter I'd park the truck near the barn, plug in the block heater and hook
up a trickle charger on the batteries.  I'd also leave the cab heater fan
running on low.   For some reason it was wired up so it would run without
turning on the main switch.  I thought that was peculiar but it worked for
me.   Anyway,  I could get up in the morning at 4 am, walk out there and
crawl in the cab.  It would be not toasty warm but warm enough and the old
Detroit would fire just as soon as I hit the starter button.  It was well
worth the effort and expense to hook it up each night.  I don't remember the
size of the block heater.  It looked like a water heater element and went
right in the water jacket of the engine by simply removing a block off plate
from the block and bolting the heater in it's place.

Charlie