[AT] gasoline

Jim & Lyn Evans jevans at evanstoys.com
Thu Dec 30 15:51:28 PST 2010

Right now, ethanol would fare quite well without the $0.45/gallon tax
incentive because of the gasoline price to corn price ratio.  The producers
would still make good money with today's prices.  However, that isn't always
the case.  If gas drops back to $2.00/gallon and corn stays up, they won't
make money.

Subsidies are there for 2 reasons - either to drive overproduction to keep
costs low (which is why we subsidize food and crude oil) or to help develop
new technologies.   In this case it is there to develop the technology.
Without the incentives no business would invest in the research it would
take to make ethanol profitable unless it had some likelihood of making
money.   30 years ago it did take more energy to produce ethanol than what
it created.  Because of the subsidized research, that is no longer true.

The oxygenated fuel mandate did not come from the ethanol lobby.  Remember
MTBE?   It was supposed to be the miracle chemical that would oxygenate the
gasoline. Since it was made from crude oil, it was what the oil industry
wanted to use.  Unfortunately it will permanently contaminate and poison our
groundwater so it was eventually banned.