[AT] gasoline

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Thu Dec 30 15:45:40 PST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Guy Fay" <fayguyma at execpc.com>
To: "'Antique tractor email discussion group'"
<at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Thursday, December 30, 2010 3:17 PM
Subject: Re: [AT] gasoline

> The problem with the below analysis-
> The farmers grow the corn anyway, true- and after the ethanol process, the
> brewers grain is fed to cattle. The total energy analysis should take into
> account the further use of the grains, plus the other byproducts- CO2,
> etc.
> The studies that have been done show a positive gain. In fact, there's
> really only one study I've seen that shows a negative, funded by the
> American Petroleum Institute, done quite a few years ago with a older
> process, lower corn yields, and not including byproducts. It was done at
> UC-Berkeley, and it cited constantly by everybody opposed to corn based
> ethanol.

Thats the problem. Some of the "independent " studies are not necessarilly
so. They might have a vested interest in the outcome. I think as long as
there is oil in the ground the oil companies will keep finding a way to make
us buy it at whatever price. When there is no longer that alternative, then
the alternative energy sources might catch on.
I've seen the studies stating that ethanol from grain generates a negative
return, and I've seen others that claim the opposite. Who do we believe?
Both make a good argument. It won't make much difference to me as a farmer.
I will still have to pay the going price for fuel to operate my farm
equipment and take whatever price the grain buyers offer for my grain.
Hopefully making a little more than my cost of production most years.

Ralph in Sask.