[AT] Passing of John Girard

Gene Dotson gdotsly at watchtv.net
Thu Dec 30 08:24:25 PST 2010

    Keith;

    Thank you very much for making this video and for posting it to the
list. Brought the tears to my eyes watching and will forward it to some of
the family.

    Those not familiar with the Groundhog separator, it was the first
mechanical device made for seperating the grain from the straw. Prior to
this, it was threshed by hand, a long, lengthy process.

    This machine would not pass OSHA standards as it has a rotating drum
with long heavy wire fingers and would be very painful if one got their
hands too close. Threshed grain  fell into the shaker below the drum with
the straw being thrown out the back and grain dropped to the shaker and then
into a tub. Grain was then sifted or winded to remove any leftover straw.

    John was very proud of this acquisition, especially being in working
condition.

    John was layed to rest this morning in his bib overalls with his corncob
pipe and a fresh pouch of Carter Hall tobacco in his breast pockets. Also
accompanied by a couple old Farmall toy tractors.

                            Gene

: Re: [AT] Passing of John Girard

> Sorry about that.  Should be fixed now.
> Keith
> On Dec 30, 2010, at 2:05 AM, Dave Merchant wrote:
>
>> The video is private.
>>
>> Would like to see it...
>>
>> Dave Merchant
>>

>> At 02:05 AM 12/30/2010, Keith Kinney wrote:
>>> Gene
>>> Thank you for letting us know of John's passing.  I had the pleasure of
>>> meeting him at this past years Portland show. John had asked Gene to see
>>> if he could find a gas engine to run the little ground hog
>>> thresher.   With Genes help we hauled my daughters 2.5 HP Novo back to