[AT] Personal Website link to ATIS?

Dean Vinson dean at vinsonfarm.net
Wed Dec 29 15:16:16 PST 2010

Hi Ernie, and thanks for the very nice work on that website--I enjoyed
reading through it.

Concerning your request, I can't speak for Spencer but I believe he no
longer maintains those aspects of the ATIS website.  If you try the links to
other ATIS member webpages at http://www.atis.net/mem_home.html, you'll find
that most of them no longer work--it's just been too many years since they
were created, and the webpage owners have discontinued their sites or moved
them to different hosts, and Spencer hasn't been able to devote the time to
keeping on top of that sort of thing.

I think it's also a reflection of the changes in internet technology
(specifically search engines) over the past decade or so.  In the mid 1990s
the ATIS site was pretty advanced, and "web surfing" was a good way to get
around--many sites had a "Links" page, and people browsed from one site to
the next by following the links.  So having your personal website link up on
the ATIS website was a good way to help more people find your site.  But
anymore, Google and the other search engines dominate the process of "where
do I go to look for information on this?", so Links pages become
increasingly less relevant--and therefore fall lower on the site manager's
list of stuff to take care of.

All just speculation on my part, of course.  But I did notice that a Google
search for "Samson Model M" brought me to your site pretty quickly.  :-)

Dean Vinson
Dayton, Ohio
www.vinsonfarm.net