[AT] gasoline

Grant Brians sales at heirloom-organic.com
Wed Dec 29 09:48:13 PST 2010

Here in Coastal Central California, Gasoline prices are in the range of
$3.20 to $3.40 depending on the station. Diesel prices are at $3.44 and very
much higher depending on the station. I was looking at my fuel costs for a
year ago for the farm trucks and comparing them with this month, and even
with fewer miles travelled they are up substantially! One thing about
farming year round, is that the costs just never stop! Electricity costs are
lower because the rain has been keeping us out of the fields for cultivating
and some planting activities unfortunately - I have several fields that
REALLY need cultivating and the planting schedule is starting to get
impacted. But the summer and fall plantings are producing nicely at this
point and so we are extremely busy.
     Carrots, Turnips, Rutabagas, Radishes, Cabbage, Spinach, Greens and
Herbs are all growing and we are picking and selling them. On the other hand
both my workers and I are getting wet and muddy a lot.... I expect 2011 to
be another tough year, but hope that margins will improve and that will
allow me to do better. I am thankful to be doing the job I do love.
            Grant Brians
            Hollister,California
            Vegetable, Nuts and Fruit Farmer