[Farmall] More on the 184 mystery

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Wed Dec 15 06:50:26 PST 2010

The "numbered series" Cub Loboy's (154, 185, and 184) used the old
Farmall Cub engine and drive train. They are not offset tractors, and
the steering and front ends are completely different, and the tractor
used a full length frame. There were other differences, but those are
the the most obvious. In the 185 and 184, IH managed to squeeze 20 hp
out of a 10 hp engine by increasing the governed speed to 2200 rpm from
1750 rpm (as well as some other minor internal changes). One big
improvement is an electric clutch on the PTO, separate from the
transmission clutch, which is very welcome when mowing grass.

So, aside from the fact that everything is lower to the ground, working
on this 1979 tractor's engine is pretty much like working on a 1940's
era Farmall Cub.

My 68 year old back is complaining about all the stooping and lying on
the concrete floor, so I am going to give it a rest for a few days and
then get back to working on the tractor.

(Didn't the Worthington use a Ford flat head like the Ford N tractors?
Or was that a Chrysler 6?)

Mike