[AT] Int. 184 overhaul - a mystery

carl gogol cgogol at twcny.rr.com
Mon Dec 13 16:54:21 PST 2010

Interesting story, Mike.  Reminds me of the rebuild on my AC D-14 engine;
almost total, bearings, sleeves, pistons, main and cam bearings.  When it
finally ran again the oil pressure was almost non existant - like I had done
nothing, but it was a necessary and significant change in bearing diameters
to get everything round and right.  I read the service manual again and
found a paragraph that basically said that if the oil pressure was low,
renew the pressure control valve - which is just a spring and ball that I
had inspected and didn't see any reason to replace.  For some reason I
decided to change them anyways and it made all the difference in the world.
New engine, high oil pressure.  Who would have thought that?!!
Carl Gogol - Manlius, NY
Tasty grazing in the Oran valley of Central NY
AC D14, 914H
JD 5320 MFWD
Kubota F-2400, B7300HST