[AT] OT Now rechargeable tool batteries Re: computers OT

Gene's Wowway e-mail gwaugh at wowway.com
Fri Dec 10 07:48:38 PST 2010

Things have been off-topic for a while, I thought I'd throw out a thread
that I am sure is common to many of us: batteries for cordless tools.

I have two systems going, both Ni-Cad.  A 14 Milwaukee drill/driver and a
few 18 DeWalt ;tools, the primary one being an impact driver; I REALLY like
this tool; it sucks screws into almost any wood!

I had the batteries for the Milwaukee rebuilt a year or so ago---IIRC, the
cost was about half of new.  I am now starting to have trouble (low run
time) with several of the 18V Dewalt batteries.  This system is popular
enough that new batteries are relatively reasonable.  Home Depot currently
has a pack of two De Walt 18V batteries (NiCad) for $99.  This is mighty
close to what rebuilds would cost, although I might be able to get greater
amp-hrs by rebuilding.

But with the DeWalt I see myself at decision time....Is it time for me to
just toss and make the leap to Li-Ion---it would sure be nice to have the
extended run time, lesser weight etc.)  I think I have answered the buy new
vs rebuild aspect with what Home Depot has.

Thoughts?

GeneW
Elgin, Illinois USA