[AT] computers OT

pga2 at BasicISP.net pga2 at BasicISP.net
Thu Dec 9 11:34:11 PST 2010

Yes, Mike, it "can be done" but you do lose performance somewhat. IMHO, any
upgrade should improve performance. As for the Upgrade VS. full version, the
only issue there is that it requires Vista. I don't like upgrading twice, so
I recommended the full version. It does cost a bit more, but is worth it to me.
More RAM seems to be a perpetual requirement for Microsoft's "improvements" if
you want the performance boost. If not, just live with what you have. :o)

Phil

--- mikesloane at verizon.net wrote:

From: Mike Sloane <mikesloane at verizon.net>
To: Antique tractor email discussion group <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Subject: Re: [AT] computers OT
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 13:35:55 -0500

I tend to disagree with a couple of Phil's comments: I moved 4 older
PC's from XP to 7 with minimal problems (mostly, as mentioned, sound and
video cards that didn't have new drivers). But I downloaded and ran the
free "upgrade adviser" from MS first, and that application told me
exactly which items would be a problem and to get new drivers , etc.
before trying to install 7. It also told me NOT to do an "upgrade" but
to do a "custom" install (I have no idea what the difference is). None
of the four machines have more than one gig of RAM (the minimum needed
for Windows 7), and they run just fine, if a little more slowly than
under XP. Since I wouldn't even dream of using Norton on any computer I
own, conflicts aren't a problem. I do use MS Security Essentials, and
have not had a single problem. I also disable the software firewall and
use the firewall in my wired/wireless router.

The upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 was very simple, although it seem to
take hours.

My biggest gripe with Windows 7 is the difficulty in setting up network
file sharing if you don't want to be bothered with their "homegroup"
arrangement, which limits file sharing to just a few folders.

Mike