[AT] computers OT

pga2 at BasicISP.net pga2 at BasicISP.net
Thu Dec 9 09:41:03 PST 2010

Most of the systems I work on here at Acer/eMachines/Gateway now have Win7. If you want to upgrade I suggest you get a full copy of Win7 and skip the upgrade disc. The upgrade has issues with some programs and will not run successfully until those programs are removed. Norton Antivirus is one big one. I know the upgrade is cheaper, but it will be a far sell painful experience if you start with the full package and a clean hard drive. One additional thing, the upgrade will not work with a Xp system, only Vista. Read the upgrade box carefully before buying, a lot of places will not accept any open software as a return.
I like Win7 personally. It is nowhere near as buggy as Vista was in it's initial rollout. It just seems to work. Another tip, if your sustem has less than 2Gb of RAM you really should upgrade to at least 2Gb, more than 3Gb or so will not be recognized unless you go to the 64-bit version. If you go with the 64-bit version, you should have at least 3Gb and 4Gb would be better for best performance (More's law does apply here).
On the 1Tb hard drives, we have been having quite a lot of drive failures (bad sectors) on the 750Gb and up hard drives, regardless of brand. We get Seagate, Western Digital and Hitachi, mostly. All three seem to have problems. Don't be surprised if your system chokes and pukes after a few weeks to a few months. I would recommend a DVD or CD to store backups, NOT an external hard drive. Too much possibility of data loss with the HDDs.

Phil

--- rlgoss at insightbb.com wrote:

From: Larry Goss <rlgoss at insightbb.com>
To: Antique tractor email discussion group <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Subject: Re: [AT] computers OT
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 11:04:49 -0600

I'm currently running XP, Vista, and Windows 7 on four systems that are all networked.  You get used to the differences very quickly.  It ain't no biggy, but I am seriously considering upgrading the Vista system to Windows 7 to get rid of features it has.  I won't upgrade the XP units because there are incompatibilities.  When they die (which they eventually will) I'll migrate to whatever is current on the replacement.  BTW, you ARE putting important files on large external hard drives, aren't you?  You should be able to get a 1 or 1.5 Tbyte hard drive on sale for around $70.

Larry