[Farmall] Farmall H oil level and types

Dean Vinson dean at vinsonfarm.net
Tue Aug 31 04:21:09 PDT 2010

Hi Mark.  I'd use 10W30 for the engine and 80W90 gear oil in the
transmission.  If the engine hasn't been rebuilt in the last decade you
might consider non-detergent oil for the engine, to avoid having detergent
oil kick a bunch of stuff loose that's going to clog up little oil
passages--although my guess is that prior owners might likely have been
using detergent oil anyway, so it's hard to know whether there's any benefit
or not.

To check engine oil level, there should be two valved testcocks on the right
side of the oil pan beneath the engine, one higher and one lower.  Engine
oil is at the proper level when it's just up to the level of the higher
testcock--you just open the valve and wait for oil to run out.

For transmission oil, look for a square-headed plug alongside the
transmission housing, somewhere below and in front of the clutch pedal.
Same deal, when transmission oil is up to the level of that plug, there's
enough.

Everything I've written here is based on experience with M-series tractors,
and I think Hs are configured basically the same but maybe not--so the
locations and details might be different from what I said.  I'd recommend
buying an operator's manual--lots of good information in them about
lubrication, greasing, general operation and maintenance.
www.binderbooks.com has good ones, or you can often find old originals on
eBay.

Hope that's of some use,

Dean Vinson