[Farmall] 1951 Cub won't start when very hot

DBigdog DBigdog at columbus.rr.com
Mon Aug 30 10:21:36 PDT 2010

Jim,
    You have covered all the common causes for non-starting in the cub
engine.  Coil failure is most common and a new coil could still fail.
However, before throwing parts at it, check for presence of a good spark
when trying to start it hot.  If you still have a good hot spark then
ignition is not an issue.  If your engine is getting hot enough to boil the
coolant it is possible that you have valves sticking when the block is that
hot.  A compression test when hot should tell you if that is the case or
not.
    If you can start by verifying spark when hot we can decide which
direction to head in troubleshooting.
I might also suggest that you check out www.farmallcub.com as there is lots
of cub information available there as well as a very active online forum.

BD