[Farmall] 1951 Cub won't start when very hot

jimbon88 at aol.com jimbon88 at aol.com
Mon Aug 30 09:44:59 PDT 2010

Hi Folks,

I've been lurking on this list for a while to learn about my Cub but have never written in.    Now I have a problem that I can't solve and would like to know if anyone has any suggestions.   My Cub starts right up when it is cold or hot, but after running it so hard that the coolant is boiling in the radiator and it is VERY hot, it won't start.   It turns over just fine so I don't think it's the starter.   I installed a new coil with no change.    Then I thought it was a fuel vaporization problem, but I can smell gas at the exhaust pipe and choking it makes no difference.  I have a pertronix ignition in it now, but it acts the same as when I had the points ignition system were in it.    If I let the engine cool down for an hour, it starts right up as if nothing was wrong.   Does anyone have any other thoughts as to what might be causing this no-start condition?   Thanks for the help.

Jim Gearhart