[AT] Smoothing a gravel road

Steve W. swilliams268 at frontier.com
Mon Aug 30 07:16:07 PDT 2010

Don Bowen wrote:
> I recently had my road torn up then fixed and new gravel brought in. In
> the process they left it a little rough in a couple of places and I plan
> to bring in some more gravel to fix a low spot.
>
> I pulled out the little Farmall DX29 and started playing in the rock
> with the front end loader but soon realized that what little I did know
> I have long since forgotten. I grew up around construction equipment and
> worked a D4 on finish work while in high school
>
> What I need are comments on how to smooth a gravel road. I have the
> front end loader, scoop, and box blade. I would like some suggestions on
> how to smooth out the gravel road and if I need other tools and how to
> make them.

Many good suggestions. What we use to smooth the FD parking lot and rear
field are two items. One we use the FEL to bring in some extra fill
(dirt,gravel) drop it in low spots.

Then hook up to the "leveler" we have. It started out as 2 railroad
ties, a chunk of heavy angle steel as long as a tie, enough chain to
make a hitch and chain the two ties 3 feet apart. If you want to get
real fancy a short section of chain link gets connected in the middle.

I have also used a set of old spring tooth drags as an initial leveling
tool. They also work well for places that tend to wash out. You just
cheat a bit and spread a couple of bags of old cement on the gravel and
drag it in. Then smooth the area out and water well....

--
Steve W.
(\___/)