[AJD] Revisit to an old topic...FUEL TANK CLEANING.

Duane Ledford dledford at classicnet.net
Tue Aug 24 13:30:51 PDT 2010

If you are going to put something in the tank to rattle around in it to
break up the rust, use something you can take out of the tank with a magnet.
I bought a half finished project tractor from a guy one time, a '37 A, and
he had put several handfulls of rocks into the tank to clean it out. I was
several days trying to pick those rocks out. The baffle at the neck of the
tank prevented the rocks from shaking out. I could get a few to fall out by
shaking the tank, but not near all. I got quite the upper body workout,
that's for sure. I finally found a very LONG pair of mechanic's tweezers and
picked the rocks out one by one. I can only imagine how fun it would be to
pick out something slick and round like marbles. My vote would be a length
or two of chain or a couple of handfulls of nuts and bolts. It will save you
a lot of aggrivation.

My two cents worth

Duane