[AT] Ralph, do you only have one enormous field in Canada?

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Fri Aug 20 08:14:09 PDT 2010

Mattias, I'm not sure what you mean by the combines not cutting the straw.
I'm guessing you refer to the fact that the combines sometimes pick up a
"swath" of grain rather than direct cutting the standing crop. We don't see
as much swathing now as we used to. Now most cereal grains are direct cut,
sometimes desiccated prior to harvest although I prefer to just let nature
do it's own desiccating.
Canola is almost always swathed as the pods will shatter if left standing
until they are dry enough to harvest.
And my fields would be considered small by local standards. I think the
biggest is 130 acres on my farm but I know of one in the area that must
contain well over 1000 acres of canola. Of course he has 5 big New Holland
combines to harvest with.

Ralph in Sask.