[AT] WAS: Snow Blower now Belt Dressing

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 19 06:25:02 PDT 2010

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 7:08 AM, charlie hill
<charliehill at embarqmail.com> wrote:
> Someone else mentioned using friction tape.  I don't think I've seen any for
> years.  I had never thought about it before but given the name it seems like
> maybe that is what it's for.
>
> Charlie
===============================

We used it extensively in wiring before today's plastics were common.
You used "splicing compound" (rubber tape) over the soldered splice
then covered it with friction tape. The rubber tape could unwind if
not covered and was not resistant to pressure damage like if pressed
against a sharp corner some place. The friction tape was not
insulative enough to be used alone.
We used to use a lot of friction tape to patch handles on hammers,
shovels, pitchforks, hoes, rakes etc. I still have some with the old
tape on them. Having the tape on them shows them to be a little
fragile and makes a good excuse to not work so hard and fast when
using them. ;-)

--

Be tolerant of almost everything but intolerance...

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"
Central Indiana USA
robinson46176 at gmail.com