[AT] Snow Blower

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Mon Aug 16 20:16:09 PDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rupert" <rwenig2 at xplornet.com>
To: "Antique tractor email discussion group" <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Monday, August 16, 2010 4:56 PM
Subject: Re: [AT] Snow Blower

> I don't have a link handy but they do make front mount snow blowers.
> The models I've seen had a drive shaft running under the tractor to the
> back to a chain drive off the PTO.
>
> Rupert

Thats true, in fact I think the front mount came before the rear mount
blowers. Back in the late fourties a company called Richardson was building
snowblowers for farm tractors. Later on Crown and Schulte (all sask
companies) offered front mount snowblowers with the drive shaft to the rear
through the push bar and running by chain and sprocket off the pto. Drawback
to this was that your ground clearance was reduced quite a bit by the push
bar . Dad had a similar setup on the V snowplow he got for clearing roads in
the 1950s. Actually several local farmers went together to buy this v plow
and would take turns keeping the school bus routes open. It was a pretty
universal fit v plow with the push bar all the way to the back of the
tractor and chains to the front axle holding it in line. No hyd lift, it fan
on skids so if you got stuck in a big snowbank you were in for some serious
shovelling to get rolling again. Often two guys would go out to work
together. The second tractor used to pull the first one back out of the snow
when it got stuck. All open tractors in any kind of winter weather. Good
times.

Ralph in Sask.