[AT] Guess what is showing up at Portland...

David Rotigel rotigel at me.com
Fri Aug 13 18:57:59 PDT 2010

On Aug 13, 2010, at 7:21 PM, Spencer Yost wrote:

> OK - it has been two and one half years since I got the engine
> during a
> great trip with Steve, Brice and Dave Rotigel.   It has been two years
> since I have been to Portland.   But the 25 HP Ball oilfield engine
> will
> finally be at Portland this year.    The trailer is finished, the
> skids
> are finished, and I am just waiting on the crane to lift the engine
> onto
> the skids and the whole shooing match onto the trailer.   This will
> happen this Friday.    Check out the pictures of the trailer and
> skids here:
>
> http://www.atis.net/forums/album.php?albumid=29

VER nice Steve!

> The engine is not running and this year I am planning on spending the
> week at Portland getting it in running condition an hope to have it
> running by the end of the week.

We will be setting up the ATIS engine area on Friday ("We" meand Bob
Matthews)
>   I am missing several things for the
> engine so I actually could use stuff.   So this is  call for anyone
> with
> oiling trees, oilers, wicks, various plumbing, gasket material,
> propane
> stuff, piping anything you think I might could use and you are willing
> to sell, bring it on to Portland!

What kind of gasket material do you need? Head? Water? How big?

> Also, I could use some thoughts and ideas on loading and mounting the
> engine.  Some folks - one in particular I really trust - think I
> should
> somehow bolt the engine to the trailer.    I like the idea, but I am
> not
> sure I can bolt this in any meaningful way .   To bolt down, I could
> not
> use the hardened all-thread that is bolting the engine and skids since
> those won't line up with the steel under the deck of the trailer.
> The
> steel under the decking is 2"x4" 'L' irons and these are all I have to
> bolt to.  The 2" leg is the horizontal portion (the part the decking
> is
> screwed to), so I imagine I could drill 3/4" holes through the bottom
> skid, through the deck, and then through these irons and use 3/4"
> bolts.  I have three irons crossing under the length of the skids.  So
> that would be  total of 6(three on each side) 3/4" bolts holding the
> bottom skid to the trailer while my 6 hardened all-thread holds the
> engine and skids together.   My question:   Would 6 3/4" bolts really
> hold a 6000+ pound engine while running and even if they would, is
> this
> really necessary?

Yes to the first question, no to the second!
>   I plan to obviously chain and strap the sucker good
> for traveling and those bolts wouldn't help in an accident anyway.

If you get in a serious accident with a #10,000 gvw trailer the 6
bolts will be the least of your problems!
>  As
> for running - it wasn't bolted to the concrete foundation I found it
> on
> in PA.  It was just sitting on it and it obviously never shimmied or
> moved.
>
> Any thoughts and comments on the trailer loading and mounting would be
> much appreciated!

If this will be a dedicated trailer then bolt it down. If not then
don't bother. Two straps over the skid will be more than enough when
it's running. Bring blocking in order to get the trailer up off it's
wheels while running.
I take for granted that you will be at the ATIS dinner on Thursday!

> Take care,
>
> Spencer Yost
	Dave