[Ford-ferguson] distributor

russgman at aol.com russgman at aol.com
Tue Aug 10 18:54:44 PDT 2010

Yes the distributor rotor doesn't rotate while in the block,either with the starter or by hand, I have not pulled it yet.

In an effort to be ready to pull the distributor, I went to put the #1 cylinder in compression.  By the book, I pulled #1 plug and put my finger over the hole & hit the starter.  Felt absolutely nothing, distributor not spinning,  Pulled #2 and #4 sparkplug and felt the blow, not sure if it was a high compression but certainly much more than #1.

Now I think I am onto the real problem, and it's not the distributor but something amiss and the crank/cam shafts are not spinning.  NOW I have managed to scare myself and think about how to figure out if the crank shaft is broken.  What else can I look at to eliminate a broken crank.  When the tractor shut off, the oil pressure was good and the engine had only been running a couple of minutes, and I heard no real metal, etc.break sound, etc.

Now I am really looking for advice!  How can I figure out exactly what is wrong?

Russ
1950 Redbell