[Ford-ferguson] distributor

Lew Best lew at lewslittlefarm.com
Mon Aug 9 19:06:16 PDT 2010

I'm not familiar with the old Fords except that IIRC some have the
distributor mounted on the front & some "more conventionally" on the side?
If on the side I've often been able to get a small hammer underneath them &
gently tap them up & out.  first thing I'd check though is to pull the plugs
& see if you have compression.  Not being able to turn the rotor by hand
suggests to me that the timing gear or chain (whichever it uses) may have
failed & the camshaft isn't turning (most distributors drive off the cam).
If that's the case you'll have little or no compression on most cylinders.
Only fords I have any experience with (& very little with them as they just
seem to keep going & going & going) are both diesels; a 4000 & a 9600.

Lew near Waco, TX
website HTTP://lewslittlefarm.com