[AT] Check the grounds, check the grounds, check the grounds

Dean Vinson dean at vinsonfarm.net
Sun Aug 1 08:10:08 PDT 2010

Well, I wasn't actually worried about this, but I've confirmed that the
cotter pin that holds the painted starter control rod onto the painted
starter switch lever on top of the starter motor on my Super M has a good
ground.  Seemingly all 12 volts and 1000 amps worth.

One of the ammeter leads is connected to the electrical post on the starter
motor, right where the main battery cable is connected.  I noticed that
there was some black electrical tape on the ammeter lead that was coming
loose where the wire is crimped into the ring terminal, so I decided to take
the wire off and replace the tape.  (This new Super M doesn't need much, so
I have to look hard for something to fix on it).  While loosening the 5/8"
nut that holds the ammeter lead and the main battery cable onto that
electrical post, I turned the wrench far enough to bring it into contact
with the end of that cotter pin, which hangs there about an inch away.
*BIG* spark.  Plus my wrench now has a little arc-welded divot on one edge.
Definitely made that simple task a little more exciting than I'd expected.
And if I ever need a known good ground with which to test something else on
the tractor, I'll know I can trust that cotter pin.

Dean Vinson
Dayton, Ohio
www.vinsonfarm.net