[Farmall] Farmall 340

ebony51 at frontiernet.net ebony51 at frontiernet.net
Wed Apr 28 19:07:35 PDT 2010

Ron,  I have one.  It is a handy tractor.  I think they made about 7,000 Farmall and International 340.  So while not rare, also not common.  Many engine parts are available, but when I had mine overhauled 14 years ago, I had trouble getting, if I recall right, engine O-rings.  I think the block is a C-123 (or is it C-121)...anyway from the Super C series...bored out to 135.  The horse power is in the low 30s.  I used to have a propane Farmall 400.  I used both on a 60" bush hog.  While I could tell the difference between the Farmall 400 (and about 50 horsepower) and the Farmall 340, the Farmall 340 did a creditable job.  Mine has a loader on it.  Some emblems can be a challenge to find.  Oh yes, the gas sending unit is impossible to find (at least for me so far).  I think they might be unique to the Farmall 340 and frequently broke.  Hydraulics are slow compared to a modern tractor but it had torque amplifier, power steering, and live PTO.

Enjoy the tractor.

Larry Hardesty