[AT] Brake Controller

Don Bowen don.bowen at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 26 09:25:11 PDT 2010

jahaze at aol.com wrote:
> Has anyone ever had a brake controlled just quit working?  Or should my attention be focused on the trailer instead?

The brakes on my trailer failed at the most inopportune time, just as I
was heading down a steep Ozark gravel hill.  One side was a drop off and
the other a bank.  I could not feather the tow vehicle brakes, they
would just slide so it was slide the brakes until it got too close to
the edge, let up enough for the whole thing to jerk toward the bank,
repeat.  I finally got it stopped on a less steep part.  I had a friend
come down and chain his pickup to the back of the trailer and we both
went down slowly.

http://www.braingarage.com/Dons/Travels/journal/December%2009/images/hill.jpg
The fun hill.

The brakes had been grabbing that morning, they would grab then work
normally.  Once I calmed down enough to work on things I found that one
of the contacts on the trailer socket had bent to where it barely made
contact.  I think what was happening was that when I applied the brakes
there was no contact but the plug would then make contact causing the
brakes to grab.  It eventually stopped making contact on the very steep
hill.  The fix is to replace the trailer socket on the pickup and maybe
the plug on the trailer.

--
Don Bowen           KI6DIU