[Farmall] Farmall Cub Engine seal replacement

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Thu Apr 22 05:05:07 PDT 2010

That isn't exactly true. The problem (as I understand it) is that IH
machined the recess for the seal using an obsolete seal specification
and never changed the machining (I am sure that Jim Becker and/or Ken
Updike could explain it better). The new seal is very slightly smaller
than the old. What I have done successfully is to use "flange sealer"  -
Loctite 603, or the equivalent - to hold the seal in place
<http://65.213.72.112/tds5/docs/603-EN.pdf>. It is an anaerobic, oil
resistant, high temperature sealer that holds the rear seal very well. I
have yet to have one fail in that application using that method. The
only consideration with Loctite 603 is that it really needs about 24
hours to properly cure.

I hope that helps,

Mike