[AT] How Much Shrinkage?

Gene Dotson gdotsly at watchtv.net
Thu Apr 22 04:44:22 PDT 2010

    Hi Guys;
    I am building a hay wagon rack. Using all fresh cut green hickory
lumber. Flooring boards are 16 feet and running lengthwise on the bed.
Boards are 1 inch thick and 6 inches wide.

    Would someone have an educated guess how much the boards will shrink? I
would like to end up with about 1/4 inch spacing between boards when
seasoned. Will the boards shrink this much if I butt them together solid
when I install them?

                    Thanks........        Gene

P.S.  The weight of the bed is going to be a load before the first bale is
loaded... G.D.