[Farmall] Farmall Cub Engine seal replacement

Dale flya737 at aol.com
Wed Apr 21 19:11:53 PDT 2010

I am about to replace the front and rear engine seals on my '55 Cub, since it is torn down already for repairs and fresh paint.  I just bought the 2 seals plus the gasket for the rear.

1. Can anyone suggest how to remove the pulley without the "special tool" (aka HUGE pulley puller from the photos!) mentioned in the manual? Some clever trick up your sleeve?

2. I was warned by the parts store that if the rear seal goes in "nice and easy" it is time to replace the housing holding it (about $150).  Is this a common occurrence?

3. I am also replacing the old steering gear housing since the old one had frozen, cracked, and been repaired, but no longer would allow the front grill to be attached correctly from a poorly executed weld repair.  I will be replacing the seals here as well.

4. While I am doing this, is there anything I absolutely should do while it is torn down this far?

She ran just fine...just a few leaks here and there.

Dale Finch

PS this mostly started when I found a new deck for the old corroded one and found a friend with a shop who would let me work on it there!  What was I thinking??!!

=