[AT] What's the "rarest" tractor you own?

Indiana Robinson robinson46176 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 14:20:20 PDT 2010

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 4:41 PM,  <jahaze at aol.com> wrote:

> I'm asking this question because I get so tried of all classified ads that ask inflated sums of money for a "rare" tractor that they only made 15,000 of, or something like that.  I know it doesn't really matter, but I thought it would be interesting to see whats actually out there.  In reality, aren't all of our tractors "one of a kind" as no two have been modified by the previous owner's exactly the same.
>
> For me it's a UG Mineapolis Moline, one of only 100 built (mine's #79).  I also have an old style Oliver 88, one of 1,200.  Everything else is run-of-the-mill generic stuff.
>
> Enjoy, Joe

About everything I own is pretty common... Largely because I am most
interested in the common tractors that were used around here as I was
growing up. Either I used them, saw them in neighbors fields or looked
and drooled over them at fairs etc. Around here people get all excited
about single front wheel tractors and special high clearance tractors
because they are less common. I don't really have any interest in them
for exactly that same reason. As I grew up I "never" saw those around
here. Those have all been hauled in here from other areas. For most of
my early youth this was "2 plow" tractor country. 30 acre fields were
considered big fields. There were far more 10 acre fields. 20 acre
fields were the desired standard. It was maybe 1953 / 1954 before I
started seeing a lot of 3 plow tractors. Even most Farmall M's and
John Deere A's were pulling 2 bottom plows. A few used a two and added
a small drag, often a piece of fence post or pipe dragging with two
chains. Too many tough waxy clay hills to use a three unless you had
sandy soils like the folks 30 miles south of us.
I guess the Farmall S-MTA (one of my favorites to use) is as "rare" as
anything I have. Or the Farmall 400LP (still apart) or maybe the
Farmall F-30 (project tractor, big basket).
For me "rare" doesn't count for much, nostalgia matters... :-)
-
I spent part of today on a tractor... I was using the 6' King Kutter
on the Farmall Super M which has a loader on the front and a 3 point
hitch on the back. That is the first I have actually "used" one for a
while except for moving them or using one of them to move something
else. Kind of enjoyed it.
.
I guess the "common" stuff all fits in since I am pretty common too. :-)

--
Have you hugged your horses today?

Francis Robinson
aka "farmer"