[AT] Penetrating Oil Test

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Mon Apr 12 07:11:04 PDT 2010

I tried the acetone/ATF mix, and it does indeed work well. But I have a
couple of problems with it: 1. finding a container/applicator to use to
get it where it is needed, and 2. finding a container to keep it in
between uses. Acetone attacks a lot of plastics, and it evaporates
quickly, leaving only the ATF behind. What I plan to do in the future is
to keep the two liquids in their original containers and only mix up
enough to use when I need it. As for applying it, I think I may use a
small glass bottle with an eye dropper - you don't need a lot to do the job.

There is another penetrating fluid that the mechanics used when I worked
at the New Holland dealership. It was supplied by New Holland in aerosol
containers and kept in the parts department but has no brand name, just
a part number. It works very well, and they will sell it to you if you
ask for it.

Mike