[AT] Penetrating Oil Test

Ken Knierim ken.knierim at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 07:29:07 PDT 2010

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 7:11 AM, Mike Sloane <mikesloane at verizon.net> wrote:

> I tried the acetone/ATF mix, and it does indeed work well. But I have a
> couple of problems with it: 1. finding a container/applicator to use to
> get it where it is needed, and 2. finding a container to keep it in
> between uses. Acetone attacks a lot of plastics, and it evaporates
> quickly, leaving only the ATF behind. What I plan to do in the future is
> to keep the two liquids in their original containers and only mix up
> enough to use when I need it. As for applying it, I think I may use a
> small glass bottle with an eye dropper - you don't need a lot to do the
> job.
>
> There is another penetrating fluid that the mechanics used when I worked
> at the New Holland dealership. It was supplied by New Holland in aerosol
> containers and kept in the parts department but has no brand name, just
> a part number. It works very well, and they will sell it to you if you
> ask for it.

I wonder if the local paint store could put some of the mix into the aerosol
spray cans as that would keep it sealed. I've seen a local shop mixing up
specific paints and putting it into cans for the customers. I see a cottage
industry here. Even if the resulting material is flammable (I'm sure it
is!), so is paint.

I would also think that the acetone can or maybe a white gas container would
be capable of holding the resulting penetrating oil. Not sure what to do
with the first half of the container but it wouldn't take long for some of
it to evaporate.

This stuff might be a good cleaning agent as well so putting it on with a
brush might solve application and possibly some cleaning issues. Just have
to have a brush that won't melt in solvent, like maybe a metal bristled one?

Ken in AZ