[AT] Question on a hay Rake

Lew Best lew at lewslittlefarm.com
Mon Apr 5 11:53:00 PDT 2010

Ok you got my curiosity up here.  I've always raked my little place here
running counterclockwise (I've been using a NH 3PT rake; may switch to an
old ground driven IH roller bar this year tho).  I've been using a JD 214ws
baler; gonna try an IH 47 that I picked up this year.  I always baled in a
counterclockwise direction also; is this incorrect?  If so why?  BTW my
equipment is all "refugee" also.  :)

Lew near Waco, TX
website HTTP://lewslittlefarm.com

I don't know what you're raking, Charlie, but in my limited experience, once
you started raking you didn't have to touch the adjustment levers until the
whole field was done and you wanted extra ground clearance during
transport.  If you "did it right", the whole hay field was one continuous
counter-clockwise spiral with a clear swath from the center to one corner
when you left the field.  And then we'd find out that the neighbors were
going to bale it with their McCormick-Deering baler and we'd have to head
out with pitchforks to turn the spiral the other way.  Dad wouldn't let us
rake it as a clockwise spiral -- the right turn was too hard on the
equipment.  That was a major consideration when all the equipment we had was
old and had been resurrected from a scrap heap at a farm sale.

Larry